Section on biophysics, biomedical physics and chemical physics
Information on the study program Chemical Physics
- Name of study program: Chemical Physics
- Number and name of branch of study: 11.56.9 Chemical Physics
- Study level: 3rd degree - graduate education program
- Type of study: internal and external
- Academic title: PhD. (philosophae doctor)
- Standard duration of the study: 4 years (internal), 5 years (external)
- Guarantor and co-guarantor of the study program:
- prof. Dr. Ivan Hubač, DSc
- assoc.Prof. Pavel Mach, PhD (co-guarantor)
- assoc. prof. Ján Urban, PhD (co-guarantor)
- Profil of graduate:
Graduate receives theoretical and methodological knowledge in chemical physics following the modern trends at the present–day. The principles of the individual and team scientific work will be learned. The knowledge on presentation scientific results, preparation of research projects and writing scientific articles will be obtained.
- Characteristics of the education program:
Student should pass through two obligatory courses on "Methods of quantum molecular physics" and "Many body quantum physics", in addition two other courses should be selected from that offered in the graduate program in chemical physics according to recommendation of the supervisor. Important part of education is reading of scientific literature recommended by supervisor, formulation of questions raised by article and proposal for future experimental or theoretical work. Students should regularly attend the scientific seminars and during the course of studies are required to make at least 4 seminars. Presentations made at scientific meetings outside the University may also be used to fulfill the requirements.
- Scientific part
The scientific part consists of:
We suppose that the study part forms about 1/3 and a scientific part approx. 2/3 of working time of doctorand. Dissertation thesis must show the knowledge of doctorand’s orientation in the problems, ability to formulate them and find the ways of solution. Dissertation thesis must also show the scientific potential leading to the originality of results.
- Identification and solution of the actual scientific problem according to the subjects given in the study part
- Processing of obtained results into the integral scientific papers which are acceptable in currented periodicals
The subject of the study follows:
Two grants have been solved, one VEGA, sponsored by Slovak grant agency, and second – COST, sponsored by european union. There is also very fruitful collaboration with Rotherford Appleton Laboratory in Oxford, University of Athens, Greece, University of Graz, Ruhr University Bochum, University of Waterloo, Canada, Gainesville University, U.S.A., University of Athens, Georgia, U.S.A., University of Dortmund, Czech Academy of Sciences
- the problems of the calculation of the correlation energy of atoms and molecules by using of many body quantum physics
- the study of dynamical properties of complex biological systems by using of molecular dynamics methods and quantum – chemical methods
- the nonlinear dynamics of intramolecular energy transfer and evolution of the chirality of molecules.
- The technical basis for graduate program in chemical physics:
Because of the theoretical orientation, the computer equipment allows performing of calculations of studied systems with the using of adequate software. There is a very good connection with information through high speed internet.